[ardour-users] Advice for RME Hammerfall DSP Cardbus Card

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Oct 25 05:49:24 PDT 2004

Hi Timm,

I use my HDSP Cardbus just about every day on an Asus laptop, and have
been doing so for almost two years now. Despite some initial
difficulties in getting it running, which resolved themselves when I
changed from RedHat to Debian, then Gentoo, I must say that it performs
quite well. Only problem I have is that if I use the MIDI in, and I have
merged a few different MIDI instruments together before it gets to the
HDSP, the MIDI stream can cause audio interruptions [verified in PD, not
neccessarily in other programs]. I think this is related to using a
completely *unrecommended* cardbus controller from Ricoh in my laptop.
Check the hardware recommendations on the RME-Audio page against the
spec of your own machine. I know that Ricoh is not recommeded, and
neither are O2 controllers IIRC. Also read their section on shared
memory graphics cards, which can also cause audio dropouts.

good luck,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl