[ardour-users] Setting recording levels

Doug McLain nostar at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 17:48:53 PDT 2004

CB wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 10:10, Them wrote:
>

>>You should be able to arm your track for recording and monitor the input
>>signal and reduce the input level for that track as appropriate.   Are
>>you using any kind of monitoring for your sound card?  Jack & Ardour
>>support various kinds of monitoring (software monitoring, for instance,
>>which can impact latency), but some sound cards have their internal
>>hardware monitoring (effectively zero-latency).  Are you adjusting the
>>main bus slider or one for the specific track?
>>
>>-- Brett
>

> I'm using hardware monitoring, and adjusting the slider for the
> particular track I'm trying to record onto. It seems to only affect
> playback, not recording. As far as I can see, I have no control over
> recording level at all (either from within ardour or using an ALSA
> mixer).

Input audio levels are handled outside of ardour, by the hardware mixer
for your device.  As was mentioned in another reply, use an alsa
hardware mixer like alsamixer, or whatever you prefer, to adjust the
line in CAPTURE level.  There is also a regular line-in PLAYBACK level
which doesnt apply here.  You should take some time and play around with
your hardware mixer.

--
http://nostar.isa-geek.com/