[ardour-users] Unable to add more tracks

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 17:44:09 PDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:29:54 -0500, Third Option
<thirdoption at hotmail.com> wrote:
> well I tell ya - I've had sessions of 32 tracks (that's the limit) and I can
> do that - I have run into this kind of thing, like I said, but I can always
> hack my way around it

Hi,
   32 *stereo* tracks? That would sound like too many. Paul and I
worked out that Ardour has 7 tracks, my sound card has 4, so that's
11. 64-11= 53. Divide that in half and I think you end up with 26
tracks, or something at this level.

   How this would apply on my HDSP 9652 I'm not clear. That card
should have 52 card IOs. Add Ardour's 7 to that and you'd begin to
think that the default setting for startign Jack would give you just a
few channels. Seems weird if it realy ads up this way...

   I got it to work in a new session with Jack started correctly
before hand. The invocation:

jackd -R -p 512 .....

does increase the port count. With this setting I Was able to add 30
stereo tracks without problems. However I have not tried putting audio
in each of those tracks and proving I do not run into some other
problem. More on that later.

Thanks,
Mark