[ardour-users] some questions

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Nov 11 12:13:38 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:40, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> Jan Depner:
> > Dave Phillips:
> > > Jan Depner:

> > > It doesn't seem too tough on an AGNULA/Demudi or Planet C system.
> > > What distro are you based on ?
> >
> >  Planet, FC1.  Also, I'm not too worried about running as root.  I've
> > been doing system admin for a quarter century and I'm behind 2
> > firewalls ;-)
>
> Jan, I'm sure you know what you are doing. Can't help to say though that
> even implying you're safe behind a firewall is plain wrong. I don't
> check code. When there is a new jamin release I build it, install it,
> thank the universe for fft and enjoy myself.
>
> In theory: Mr. Do-it-from-the-inside posts the one jack app to LAU we've
> all been waiting for like jack-my_voice_like_tony_bennet. You run it as
> root, like all your jack stuff, and there you are.
>
> The point is not being online or offline while running stuff as root.
> It's *what* you run as root. I guess.

	True.  The only tings I build from scratch are Ardour, JACK, and
JAMin.  Everything else is from Planet CCRMA.  I hope I can trust
Fernando ;-)

	Truthfully though, I really don't worry much about it.  I put
everything I record on multiple drives as soon as I record it.  I then
copy it off to DVD.  If someone has a burning desire to smoke my system,
have at it.  Everything that I value on my system is backed up to DVD or
CD.  It takes me just under two hours to reload from scratch.  I do that
on an almost daily basis at work.  I just downloaded FC3 and I'm going
to be loading a pair of PogoLinux S316s and an S212 tomorrow.  Just
remember what Bill Murray said - it just doesn't matter, it just doesn't
matter... ;-)

Jan