[ardour-users] some questions

matt at tinysongs.com matt at tinysongs.com
Thu Nov 11 07:12:38 PST 2004

Hi-

Just a quick $.02 on Ardour and monitoring.  The state of Linux audio I/O using
USB is far and away behind where PCI is.  It should be important to note that,
though I really enjoy using Linux for audio and I think Ardour is top notch
stuff, in configuring a mobile system using a USB audio I/O, and after running
extensive tests using a 2.8 P4 Linux Laptop (with a gig of ram) runing CCRMA
2.4, USB latencies were largely unusable for realtime applications.  (128 or
greater)  I had to putchase a Mac laptop and use Max/MSP to get the realtime
latencies to a useable point.  Also there is little effort being made to get
USB audio in proper shape in ALSA.  This could be an important point for the
article as many people may be holding out hope for an inexpensive professional
grade audio production worksataion running open source software and may be
intending to purchase USB audio I/O devices as they tend to be a bit more
inexpensive.  Fortunately, Ardour works nicely in OSX and Core Audio now
(shhh..it's supposed to be kept on the downlow, dig?) though there is no OSX
port of LADSPA yet so the effects are not running.  (I say "yet" but I haven't
found anyone who is interested in porting LADSPA effects to OSX and I am not a
programmer.)  I am keeping my hope alive.

Matt