[ardour-users] import/export projects

Josh Karnes jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com
Wed May 26 08:06:23 PDT 2004

philicorda wrote:

Thanks, your answers are mucho helpful!

> Get envy24control I think it's part of alsa-utils or something.

I have installed alsa-utils.  Will try that today.

>> 2.  constant xruns, dunno why
>

> Could be anything. Try starting jack with a large period size (-p 2048
> seems to be the largest the 1010 will do in Linux) and using hardware
> monitoring (manually).
> Try killing off a load of services and running a lighter desktop. I use
> XFCE4

Of course if monitor mixer is working, then large period size is no prob.

I have a tuned system with no networking and very few services, barebones.  I
get xruns both when running gnome (which I run out of familiarity for just
"working" on the sytem, getting it going, etc.) or with fluxbox (which I
installed specifically for a low-load WM for audio work).

>> 3.  Hardware monitoring is not working with Delta 1010 and Ardour
>

> I can't get this working either, though I have not tried all that hard.
> I use the envy24control mixer on my delta 1010 box.
> It's broken in the latest Cubase SX with the latest 1010 drivers too. :(

Well, it sorta works with Nuendo but frequently quits working inexplicably and
requires a reboot.  However, I prefer to use the monitor mixer, and it makes the
HW monitoring a moot point.  HW monitoring is really not important in my
mixerless DAW setup, but only SW monitoring (and no monitor mixer) is absolutely
useless.  The monitor mixer is where it's at.

>> 4.  Windows drawn on the screen are too large for my display and I
>> can't resize them
>

> Try holding down alt and then click anywhere in the window and drag it.
> You should be able to get the window's full screen/minimise/resize etc
> controls visable if they are off the screen initially. I find 1280x1024
> to be a good resolution for Ardour, avoids this kind of problem.

Yeah but my monitor does not support that resolution, and eventually I can't
handle it anyway since I'll be switching to a 14" LCD.  I have a small space to
work in and can't handle a big monitor.  The other problem is that even when
resized, the windows cut off important parts of the UI.  I think I'm going to
have to dig in and replace some of the UI elements (bitmaps etc.) with smaller
versions that will fit.

>> Once I can figure out how to just basically make the system WORK, then
>> I guess I'll be back on the topic of getting my projects into it.
>> Something tells me it is not going to work no matter what so this may
>> be a waste of time.
>

> It's got to work a little, or we would not all be here. :)

Yeah, that's what I figured!!  Well, getting the monitor mixer going will be a
huge benefit.  That'll mostly solve my problems.  Knocking out the xruns will be
step 2.  Then I need to mount my DOS drives so I can import my audio files and
life should be good.  Fortunately for these projects I only have scratch tracks
which start at 0 so no prob.  I guess I'll render the click track from Nuendo
and import it, so as to not have the worry of making the tempo/measure marker
line up in Ardour, or at least to make it easy.  The main reason I'm working on
this NOW is because I have not got a lot of extra tracks cut, just scratch
tracks for new project.

--
Josh Karnes

http://www.krashjones.com