[ardour-users] NooB with glib-config and glib version errors

Keith kmceng at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 09:36:55 PDT 2004

For weeks now, I've been trying to get ardour to build, going through
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html

I finally got part of it installed via urpmi and ardour-0.9-0.beta10.2.1mdk.i586.rpm.
However alsa doesn't work yet, and I really want to understand the entire
./configure, make, make install procedures work in GNU-Linux.

I'm running Mandrake 10.0..
I installed glib-2.4.1, and the latest alsa and pango.
I've read and googled till my head hurts, but I can't get past this glib-config error.
I read that glib-config is superceded by pkg-config which I do have installed.
But it still errors glib-config and telling me my glib is not >=1.0.0, yet my TWO
installations are 2.2.3 and 2.4.1 !!!!

I've tried the following:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib"
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include"
export CPPFLAGS CFLAGS LDFLAGS PKG_CONFIG_PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

which seemed to work for alsa and pango.

But ardour still gives me:
checking for glib-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.0.0... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.

Please Help...

Keith