[ardour-users] Hardware for Linux

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu May 20 07:25:15 PDT 2004

Hi Jørn

Jørn Villesen Christensen wrote:
> I'm looking for an external audio interface with 4-8 inputs and outputs,
> and with some midi.
> Interface if prefered USB2.0, but firewire may also be ok.
>
> I have been loking on
> http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1000.html
> http://www.edirol.com/products/info/fa101.html
> http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=5f35def5b4107998b11119907053a313

You didn't say if it was for a laptop or not [although I assume it is....]

USB audio for Linux, despite the existance of the usb-audio drivers in
ALSA, is still very sketchy. Check the archves of alsa-user list to see
how many issues with USB cards come up. I think firewire is even less
stable. If you can afford it, you might consider something from RME,
like the Hammerfall HDSP, which uses a special cardbus interface. [Of
ocurse, this card also has its own kinds of special tricks to get it
working...]

If it's a desktop, then you have lots of options with PCI-card
solutions, so I wouldn't even look at USB in this case...

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl