[ardour-users] Control surfaces

D R Holsbeck drh at niptron.com
Tue Mar 30 04:14:26 PST 2004

Here is my $.02

Definetly RME if you can afford it, M-Audio if cost is an issue. You can
always look for used gear. I am pretty sure there are quite a few Delta
1010s for sale cheap.

I would also suggest a Tascam DM24, maybe its a Minneapolis thing, well
actually I got the idea from Ron ;-) It not only gets you a control
surface, but also gives you eqs, compressors, routing, some decent
effects, Antares amp modeling, .... And if you look you can find them at
a very reasonable price. I got mine from Musicans Friend for $1500 USD.
They also have financing available.

I have always had a hard time mixing with a mouse, I need faders and
knobs to play with ;-)

Personaly I would spend more than I can afford to get a decent base
unit, it saves a lot of money in the long run. I started out cheap with
Hoontech gear, which now sits around getting dusty. And I ended up
spending twice the money to get to where I wanted to go.

YMMV

DuWayne