[ardour-users] Potential user Ardour questions

Josh Karnes jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 21 17:05:34 PST 2004

Dan Harper wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 11:29, Josh Karnes wrote:
>
>>You guys suggest Gentoo linux distro?  I may download it today, give it a try.
>

> Hi Josh,
>
> I haven't tried Gentoo, but using Fedora Core 1
> (http://fedora.redhat.com/) (or Redhat 8 or 9) with Planet CCRMA
> (http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/) additions are a
> very easy and simple way to get into Linux audio.

I'm running Fedora Core 1 (upgraded from formerly RH8 then RH9) on one of my PCs
that I use daily and it's been solid, reliable and full-featured.  I really like
it.  However, it seems a bit "heavy" for an audio application...  It's got a lot
of fluff that gets installed without any real choice in the matter.  I have
learned that cleaner is better for my audio PC.

Of course rpm binaries and a familiar environment is a big plus.
--
Josh Karnes

http://www.krashjones.com
http://www.prophetsandpoets.com