[ardour-users] Potential user Ardour questions

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Mar 21 17:00:10 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 18:29, Josh Karnes wrote:
> lee at fallingforward.net wrote:
>
> > I have a 1010-LT without a hardware mixer. I use Ardour as the mixer.
>
> Aha!
>
> So...  how seamless is this?  Is it like you would use a regular mixer, which is
> that you can record simultaneously on ALL channels and monitor on whichever
> available outputs you would like (monitoring both input [with the HW-supported
> zero-latency] and the playback)?

	It's very seamless.  Use envy24control to monitor whatever you want.  I
don't use software monitoring with Ardour so that I can set a large
sample size.  This limits xruns.

> About my addiction to a VST compressor...  I have used a bunch of VST
> compressors, and a bunch of DX compressors, all the way from the mega-pricey
> Waves Audio & TC stuff down to the free, functional and no-frills MDA limiter
> and channel compressor, and the dynamics plugins supplied with Nuendo and also
> with Vegas, and pretty much everything in between.  There is exactly one
> compressor plugin that I think is worth using, it's "Blockfish" and it's VST.
> Adjustable from transparent to colored and everywhere in between, and just a joy
> to use, sounds exceptional, better than any hardware compressor I have used.
>
> IMHO all of the other ones were pretty much useless.

	I must be missing something here because a compressor is basically just
a volume control.  It isn't rocket science.  If you're getting something
else it's not just the compression that you're hearing.  I get a nice
tube sound in addition to the compression using an HHB Radius compressor
but that's not the compressor.  I use Steve Harris' SC4 compressor
plugin in Ardour because it does exactly what it's supposed to.  I'm
sure if there's something missing Steve wouldn't mind adding it for you
;-)

Jan