[ardour-users] Potential user Ardour questions

Josh Karnes jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 21 16:29:32 PST 2004

lee at fallingforward.net wrote:

> I have a 1010-LT without a hardware mixer. I use Ardour as the mixer.

Aha!

So...  how seamless is this?  Is it like you would use a regular mixer, which is
that you can record simultaneously on ALL channels and monitor on whichever
available outputs you would like (monitoring both input [with the HW-supported
zero-latency] and the playback)?

About my addiction to a VST compressor...  I have used a bunch of VST
compressors, and a bunch of DX compressors, all the way from the mega-pricey
Waves Audio & TC stuff down to the free, functional and no-frills MDA limiter
and channel compressor, and the dynamics plugins supplied with Nuendo and also
with Vegas, and pretty much everything in between.  There is exactly one
compressor plugin that I think is worth using, it's "Blockfish" and it's VST.
Adjustable from transparent to colored and everywhere in between, and just a joy
to use, sounds exceptional, better than any hardware compressor I have used.

IMHO all of the other ones were pretty much useless.

I guess "Magneto" qualifies as a compressor plugin, and so does "Ruby Tube",
both VST and both add some very mild, transparent limiting and compression (and
harmonic distortion too if you push them hard), and I have used them and they
are useful (more Ruby Tube than Magneto).

Anyway, that's just to say, I am not sure that it's going to be easy for me to
abandon Blockfish and get with any of the number of available LADSPA plugins.
How easy is it to port a VST plugin to LADSPA, assuming the source is available?
  Blockfish is a special thing, not just a random compressor.  Class by itself.

You guys suggest Gentoo linux distro?  I may download it today, give it a try.

--
Josh Karnes

http://www.krashjones.com
http://www.prophetsandpoets.com