[ardour-users] how to add send effects

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Jun 12 15:39:51 PDT 2004

Tom,

	I am unable to reply directly to you.  You're mail server doesn't like
my mail server apparently :(

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 16:20, Tom Szilagyi wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:30:12AM -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> > 	TAP Reverberator does crash Ardour for me.   The only detail I can give
> > you is that I added TAP Revreberator to two tracks in an existing
> > session, enabled it, and it caused the infamous "JACK has shutdown
> > Ardour because your system is too slow..." message.
>
> Jan,
>
> I spent my evening hunting denormal problems, and finally got to a
> point where I could reliably produce it in the following manner. I put
> the reverb on a track in Ardour, played some music, then stopped it,
> with the plugin still running. (Ardour->Options->Stop plugins with
> transport == No). So i got a long decaying sound. After about 2
> minutes of silence, the CPU usage which was fairly constant until that
> point slowly began to rise in an exponential manner, finally resulting
> in the same JACK disconnect message.
>
> Now what I can't judge is whether the problem you have with the plugin
> is the same, or something completely different. Because as I
> understand you enabled the plugin (while already playing or not,
> doesn't count) and _immediately_ got the JACK disconnect. I never ever
> had this, so I'm not really happy about it.

No.  Not immediately.  Pretty much the same sequence as what you're
seeing including the slowly building "reverb from hell".

> I would really greatly appreciate if you could spend a few minutes
> trying out the current tap-plugins CVS. (Just committed my fix,
> though, so it may take some time to show up.) Now it looks OK for me,
> but who knows, and anyway I'm not really convinced that the problem
> you have is the same that I fixed. (But i finally got the "magic
> numbers" right, which -- although totally unrelated to this denormal
> issue -- made the sound of the reverb much better. So that would also
> be worth listening to, i think.)

I'll give it a try shortly.  I had already downloaded the latest CVS so
I'll just hit it again.

Jan