[ardour-users] Ardour in sync with video?

Johannes Ringheim jri at broadpark.no
Fri Jun 11 15:33:10 PDT 2004

Piotr Sawicki wrote:

> Rtmix can controll any application that can be controlled under
> console and it could also controll xmms, but with some limitations. I
> think also that there should be also a program that can start/stop
> jack-transport under console and it that case start ardour, but I
> haven't checked it yet.

There is jack_transport. It starts/stops jack fine from the commandline.
Problem is, you first start the program, then a new prompt opens
(jack_transport>), wich is where the commands play, stop, etc. are
given. I can't find a way to do both of these from RTMix, it will only
start jack_transport and exit to the ordinary bash executing the next
command.

I guess doing this from another type of script/language would also work,
at least for starting video/audio from the beginning at the same time. I
guess if there is some kind of script language wich can input commands
to these kinds of new prompts, then that would do the job. I can not see
that RTMix can do this, if I'm wrong please let me know.

I have also come across a tiny app called jack_play, wich seemed to be
able to start jack-transport right away, but there was only a bit of
source code and not much info.

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips/tricks.

-jr.