[ardour-users] ok, spoke too soon... major crash w/ 0.9beta16.1

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Jun 8 16:40:35 PDT 2004

Just when I was getting to love it, Ardour froze up and made the machine
totally unresponsive! Couldn't even ssh in to kill the process, had to
reboot. When I got it back online, I found to my horror that all the
files in the sounds folder of my session are unreadable. They cannot be
opened by Ardour, nor by any other app. Even sndfile-info finds them
"unknow format". When trying to load the session containing these files,
Ardour segfaults with no error message, not even with Gnu Debugger.

some specs:
ShuttleX SN41G2
Athlon XP - 2.6 Ghz, 512Mb
Gentoo 2.6.4-ck1 kernel
M Audio Delta 66

I wish I could tell you what I did just before this happened... I was
muting and unmuting tracks, as I had been doing all night, playing back
several and monitoring one record track without writing anything.
Nothing out of the ordinary. And I can't find any log telling me what
went wrong either.

The files are my main concern here... how to get them back? They are on
an external firewire drive, with Reiser file system. I thought that the
journalling would cover me in case something like this happened, but I
guess not. Suggestions?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
d.

p.s. guess it's time to join Ardour-dev after all.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 6: