[ardour-users] ardour fails to record more than 1 take

symposion at onlinehome.de symposion at onlinehome.de
Wed Jun 2 15:42:09 PDT 2004

Hi,
first i  will not forget to thank Paul and his crew for ardour/jack and to
congratulate for the indeed breath-taking Progress, that ardour has made
between beta 0.9.1 and beta0.9.11.
To me arour and jack are the most important new LinuxApps this Year!

Since the whole thing is in a state that allows to work seriously with it i
started to do so and find it quite stable and usable, i got only one really
serious problem, that i did not encounter when i tested 0.9.1, 0.9.8  etc.

I usually setup a Session with 10-16 Stereotracks, Master and 2 Busses for FX.
All tracks are connected to the masterbus and i only connect a single track to
pcm-capture to record from my terratec ewx and unplug it when the recording
is done and/or when i want to record to the next track.

since i work with beta 0.9.11.2  the following happens:

1.) i record one take, everything is fine
2.) i record a second take on the same track or on another and i get the
message "UI-critical request : running out of memory - recompile with larger
size" plus a button to exit ardour

ardour exits cleanly without destroying the project and manages it to keep the
take also, so i only have to restart it to get back to work on the song...
The message shows up regardless of the size of the take - 5minutes or 5
seconds - the next take breaks the session

The System is:
Athlon XP 1800,  512DDR-RAM, Terratec EWX 24/96 (Ice1712)
ardour beta0.9.11.2
jackd 0.9.8.1

qjackctl shows the following:
[jackd -R -t 500 -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 -p 1024 -n 2 -s -zr]
JACK is started with PID=18847 (0x499f).
jackd 0.98.1
AND:
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|soft-mode|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Rectangular dithering at 16 bits

both  are compiled and running under SUSE9.0 with StandartAthlonKernel and
started as root in Windowmaker0.8
jack uses ramfs for tempfiles, ardour runs from a seagate Barracuda 40Gig ,
the project directory is on a second seagate Barracuda both are DMA-enabeled
and show good Performance (only to _arrange_ and play 20 Stereotracks
32Bit-float with 44100Hz works flawless xruns are as rare as never been seen
before - only buggy plugins or softsynths make the thing crack from time to
time...)

I tried to find some workaround-VooDoo(move the new take to another track
before recording the second, use another track for the next take etc) but
find none, so i hope you could give a hint on what happens here and what to
do.

I downloaded beta0.9.15 but make fails even though configure gave no errors -
i'd simply would like to stick with the working beta0.9.11 until Version 1
shows up. I also tried to compile it in SUSE 9.1 but the distro is a mess...
but this is another story.