[ardour-users] questions about jack/ardour and root vs. user

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jul 21 20:10:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 19:06, ulrich steffens wrote:
> hi everyone,
> my problem is more of miunderstanding i believe.
>
> to run jack with realtime-support you suggest to run jack/qjackctl as
> root. but if i do that, ardour (started by a normal user) isnt able to
> connect if root runs jack.
> how do i solve this?
> i hope i dont have to run ardour as root too!?
>
> system is gentoo with kernel 2.6.6
> recent versions of jack/ardour

If you want to run jack as a non-root user, with realtime priority and
under kernel 2.6.x you need to build an additional kernel module, the
realtime lsm module (latest version is 0.1.1). If you manage to build
that module for your kernel and you load it with the proper options you
should be able to run and jack and its clients as non-root users. See:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtime-lsm/

-- Fernando