[ardour-users] Can't install on Mandrake

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Wed Jul 21 17:31:06 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 17:05, James McDonald wrote:
> Please anyone I've done everything and for the past 3 days I've had no luck
> installing Ardour on my machine.  Is there anyone out there who konws a step
> by step proceduer for installing it.  I've installed apt and jack and I
> still can't get Ardour to install.  I had previously listed my errors and
> will do again if needed.   I'll answer any questions and repost any and all
> of my errors and machine configs.
>
> Thanks much
> Jim

I have run Mandrake 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 and now 10.0
I gave up on compiling because it never seems to go well on Mandrake. At
least that was the consensus I got. I am kinda green at this
but...here's what I have and my MDK 10.0 system is running the latest
and greatest audio apps out there including the recent Ardour beta 18.2
on the 2.6.7 Kernel with lsm and other RT patches.

Make use of URPMI.  I'm not up to speed on Apt but I think URPMI rates
up there with it and other dependency solving installers. I gave up
trying to build big apps on MDK. And why bother...theres lots of current
RPMS to be had that work.

first...to set up URPMI, use this site.
http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php
It auto magically prints what you need to cut n paste as root into a
shell. Set up a contrib server for your release version. Then go to
Thac's Rpms. http://rpm.nyvalls.se and read. He also has the text to cut
and paste to set his site up in URPMI. Once they are set up, open up
"Control Center / Software / install" Type in Ardour and bingo! Click n
pick!! Thac's is usually very close to current and he has ALL of the
cool audio stuff there ready to gao along with special kernels, etc.

R~