[ardour-users] Re: Newbie needs help

Alastair Couper kalepa at shaka.com
Sun Jul 18 12:11:46 PDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:00:05 +0000, James McDonald <mcdonal68 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> If I compile I get this at the end of compilation
>
> checking for main in -lhoard... no
> checking for main in -lefence... no
> checking for gtk-config... no
> checking for GTK - version >= 1.0.0... no
> *** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
> *** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
> *** full path to gtk-config.
> configure: error: *** gtk-ardour requires GTK+, but it doesn't appear to
> be installed
> configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for gtk_ardour

Dependancy problems abound. You will need to install the "devel" versions
of the various items used. Everyone has GTK installed from their distro,
but not the headers and source that allow other programs to compile
against it. There is a list of what is needed on the Ardour download page.
You can't "make" unless ./configure completes without errors. Keep at it,
you will get 'em all eventually.

It's worthwhile compiling Ardour, I think.