[ardour-users] Question about monitoring & latency compensation

Them idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Mon Jul 5 15:53:11 PDT 2004

Jan Depner wrote:

> Yes.  You need to unmute each channel that you want to come through in
> the digital mix.  You also need to bring the left and right sliders up
> for each channel.  So, for instance, if you want channels 1 and 2 to
> come through the digital mix you need to bring PCM Out 1 and PCM Out 2
> up in the Monitor Mixer tab.  If you want to hear them as stereo then
> just bring up the left for PCM Out 1 and the right for PCM Out 2.  Also,
> if you want to hear HW In 1 you need to bring up both of those sliders
> and unmute the channel.  It takes a while to get used to but it's very
> powerful.  Once you have things set the way you want you can do an
> alsactl store to save them.  Then alsactl restore will reset to those
> settings.

That was the problem, the hardware channels were muted.

However, I am still getting strange happenings while recording.  The
biggest issue is that, while use Digital Mix to monitor both my live
incoming channel with the previously recorded channels playing back
through the PCM out channels, the monitor will just randomly switch back
to HW1 IN -- and suddenly the live channel is the only thing I can hear,
which of course ruins the recording take because I can no longer hear
what I am playing with.  This may an issue with the ice1712 driver.  Is
there a way to "lock" the monitor so it stays where it is set?

Also, it seems after several minutes of working in Ardour, and
especially when I am just playing back stuff, the entire workstation
will get stuck on a single sample that repeats endlessly and the machine
locks up and requires a reboot.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with
Ardour, JACK or Alsa, but I haven't seen the problem using Rosegarden
and JACK.

-- Brett