[ardour-users] Question about monitoring & latency compensation

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 05:51:08 PDT 2004

Hi,

--- Them <idragosani at chapelperilous.net> wrote:
> I was doing some recording last night with Ardour.
> I had hardware
> monitoring turned on in JACK, which my soundcard
> supports (Audiophile
> 2496).  Of course, when I was recording and
> monitoring the hardware
> inputs, I couldn't hear the playback of the already
> recorded tracks,

Hardware monitoring turns input signals around to
their relative output ports. The option does not stop
disk/recorded signals from passing through the
hardware ports. After record is engaged at the
transport, the record armed track no longer plays the
disk signal.

 so
> I switched my monitoring to the PCM playback
> (software monitoring).  I'd
> hear a slight delay in the monitoring of my live
> playing when I played
> along with the tracks I'd already recorded.  How
> does Ardour handle
> latency compensation for this?

For this, it doesn't.

To use software monitoring while recording punchins
and such, you need to start jack with smaller buffers;
256, 128, 64, 32. Of course small buffers cause xruns
to occur. Hardware monitoring and a large enough
buffer to prevent your system for ever producing an
xrun is the correct choice. Again, once you engage
Record the signal streaming from disk is interupted.
Until Record is engaged, you are able to play along
with the existing disk source.

ron