[ardour-users] draw waveform while recording?

julian at selectparks.net julian at selectparks.net
Sat Feb 28 13:08:26 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 06:50:25AM -0500, Anthony DiSante wrote:

> >My mailer went berserk.  What I was trying to say is that you don't want
> >to be using up cycles on pretty pictures.  The sliding colored region is
> >just to let you know that it's recording and where you are in relation
> >to everything else.
>
> Hey, speak for yourself, pal :)
>
> No, but seriously, of course I understand that reasoning.  Still, it would
> be a nice thing to have as an option.  My CPU is nearly idle when I'm
> recording -- I'm not using any plugins or doing anything fancy yet, but
> still.  I'm used to my friends' systems where they run Windows and record
> with Cakewalk or CoolEdit or things like that, so I just naturally expected
> that ardour would draw the wave as it records it.

i also notice that my CPU load is very minimal when recording and wonder
if this is some headroom to capitalise on. many other DAW do this and
hobby editors offer this.

i think rendering a waveform during this time is not just eyecandy, or comfort
(is anything actually happening?) but also a way to measure whether the
signal is too low or too high in an updated graph.
sure the db metres offer that but without a cumulative
update. i agree it's not *that* important..