[Ardour-users] WAV files, xruns

Anthony avan at uwm.edu
Fri Feb 20 08:04:08 PST 2004

* Steffen Sauder <steffensauder at gmx.de> [Feb 20 04 08:53]:
> Anthony DiSante wrote:
>

> >A couple questions here.  Before I installed the low latency patches,
> >I got
> >lots of xruns from the ardour process.  They went away after I applied
> >the
> >Morton and Love low-latency patches, but I still get xruns from the jackd
> >process.  I've got 4 windows open (ardour, ardour mixer, the xterm owning
> >ardour, and the xterm owning jackd), and just clicking from window to
> >window
> >causes these xruns from jackd, like this:
> >
> >**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 43.943 msecs
> >
> >Should I be concerned about this?  I don't think I've noticed it
> >affecting
> >the recording at all, but then I'm only recording 2 channels, at the
> >moment.

Yes, you should be. It *will* affect recording. Make sure you are running
as root, lowlatency is enabled, and that jack is using a non-journaling
filesystem for shm. Make your latency as large as you can tolerate, in
fact I suggest choosing the -n and -p options as big as the device allows.
Make sure you don't have an autopoller checking the CD-rom drive.

I'm replying to a reply, so sorry if all these things were covered in
the parent.

--ant