[ardour-users] newbie getting nothing, begging for help

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 17:48:59 PST 2004

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:34:53 -0700, kittycat at kittycatonline.com
<kittycat at kittycatonline.com> wrote:

> As best as I can tell, I have JACK set up properly, but frankly, I'm
> totally lost with the JACK stuff. I am able to play out a sound using a
> command line ecasound statement, but that''s about what I can grasp of
> it. I understand the concepts of what it does but the specifics are
> escaping me. I have QTJACKCTL installed, and it appears to be working.

If Ardour starts then Jack must be running. Good results so far.

> I would like to use Ardour for my recording work, as it looks like the
> best thing going. I have installed Ardour, but when I go to record
> something by clicking the red 'record' button, nothing happens. I click
> the red button and the green Play button. Nothing. I look at the "Mixer"
> window, and see nothing.

Create an Audio Track. Go to the Session menu and then tell Ardour to
create an audio track. It should instantiate a mono track. Look at the
input and output routing either in Ardour or in QJC. They will
probably be fine by default. Arm the track for record, and then arm
ardour for record in the transport. Hit start and you should start
recording audio. At this point you should start seeing peak files oin
the screen if things are going right.

> I scrounged Google for help with the fundamentals of Ardour and came up
> empty. I went through the Ardour manual (the funky .pdf one), and it
> says "Hook up a microphone, record something, and we'll get started." I
> can't even get that to go, so I'm pretty much stuck, folks.

Yeah, it's a bit twisted when you first get started so we won't talk
about buses just yet. ;-)

Good luck and happy Christmas Eve to you. Just about time for use to
start drinking.

Cheers,
Mark