[ardour-users] Best hardware config for running Ardour

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Dec 20 09:46:46 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 09:58, Andre Perrotta wrote:
> Hi, I work in a sound producing studio in Sao Paulo, Brasil.
>

> Here we work with some old Protools and mac OS 8 and 9. And it would
> cost a lot of money to get everything upgraded.
>

> So, we decided that we should start trying to do everything we normaly
> do with ProTools with free software.
>
> We are now deciding what would be the best hardware configuration(the
> most efficient PC) to  buy, in order to have Ardour running.
>
> Could anyone give me a help with the following questions:
>
> 1) what would be the most compatible pci sound card ?

Hammerfall, M-Audio, SM Pro Audio, Terratec.  Your choice of card will
depend on the number and kind of I/Os you want.

> 2)Does Firewire interfaces work ?

Short answer - no.

> 3)Does Ardour have SMPTE or MTC sync ?

I think MTC works but I'm not positive.

> 4)what would be the best linux distribution for running Ardour ?

Simplest to set up is Fedora Core 1 with the Planet CCRMA packages.  I
haven't used any of the others but I have heard that Mandrake with
Thac's RPMs is good.  Also AGNULA and I think there are some people
using Gentoo but I don't know much about that.

> 5)Can I import movies in Ardour, if not, what would be the best way to
> put sound in movie using free software ?

Sorry, I can't help you with that one ;-)

Jan