[ardour-users] Best hardware config for running Ardour

Andre Perrotta perrotta_tita at bluebottle.com
Mon Dec 20 07:58:54 PST 2004

Hi, I work in a sound producing studio in Sao Paulo, Brasil.

Here we work with some old Protools and mac OS 8 and 9. And it would
cost a lot of money to get everything upgraded.

So, we decided that we should start trying to do everything we normaly
do with ProTools with free software.

We are now deciding what would be the best hardware configuration(the
most efficient PC) to  buy, in order to have Ardour running.

Could anyone give me a help with the following questions:

1) what would be the most compatible pci sound card ?
2)Does Firewire interfaces work ?
3)Does Ardour have SMPTE or MTC sync ?
4)what would be the best linux distribution for running Ardour ?
5)Can I import movies in Ardour, if not, what would be the best way to
put sound in movie using free software ?

Look forward to the answer !

Best regards:

Andre Perrotta
Sao Paulo - Brasil