[ardour-users] Ardour DAW - Hardware advice please..

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Thu Dec 16 02:22:11 PST 2004

> I was wondering if anyone had some advice as how to build an Ardour
> DAW, who's able to handle 24 tracks at 44.1 KHz at a time, when
> recording. I've counted on something like dual Opteron processors,
> 1-2 GB RAM, and RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 sound card, and a Yamaha
> 01v-96 mixing console for frontend.
>
> But the things I can't figure out is :
>
> 1. What harddrives to choose ?
> 2. Would I gain much performance in using some kind of RAID system
> for the harddrives ?

(24 tracks x 44100 samples x 4 bytes each) per second = about 4 MB/sec.
Recording 24 tracks at once means access to 48 peak and wav files but
not even your filesystem (journalled or not) can bottleneck this. I
just tried: No problem -- this is with a 9652, a cheap Maxtor IDE
drive, athlon xp on asus a7v8x-x from the stone-ages and 512MB memory.

Wolfgang