[ardour-users] Ardour DAW - Hardware advice please..

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 10:56:07 PST 2004

Hi,
   I've got an HDSP 9652 in a home-built machine - Via motherboard,
Athlon XP 1600+ (or mayby this machine is the 2600+? Don't remember. I
have two.) 512MB, 1394 external audio drive. I can do 24 tracks easily
at 5mS latency. I've done one session with about 40 tracks. It seems
to be working fine, sans Ardour problems that are gettign fixed all
the time. This machine is FC2/PlanetCCRMA and a PlanetEdge kernel.

   You do NOT need dual-Opteron and RAID or SCSI to meed the needs you
state below. My thought is that all the processor is going to do for
you is allow more plugins which is not very important to me. It will
likely not help much with track count. Memory probably won't help alot
with track count either, but it never hurts - other than power
consumption.

   I just got my kid a $199 Linspire PC at Frys as a Christmas
present. I blew away Linspire and loaded FC2 and PlanetCCRMA. If the
power supply wasn't so noisy I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if
that machine could do what you want. I have WineX (Cedega 4.2) loaded
and I'm playing Half-Life with only 128MB DRAM. Sound and video are as
good as any Windows box I have.

   Don't be so sure you need so much technology to make this work. Get
a nice 1394 drive, or a second internal drive, and 256MB or 512MB, and
I think you'll be in good shape.

Good luck,
Mark