[ardour-users] ardour and usb 1.1

Šumpich Petr psumpich at gity.cz
Thu Dec 9 01:40:37 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm using ardour on SuSE Linux 9.1 (2.6kernel) UMAX410T notebook (1200Celeron, 256MB RAM) with Roland Edirol UA-20 usb external soundcard.

Notebook has only USB 1.1 and there are problems with too much data going through the usb port (i'm hearing loops, even ardour click has some jitter, latency problems, rhytm is not regular, problems.

I think the problem is that there is really too much of data: capturing in 16bit 44100Hz, playbacking through the same soundcard.

Also have some SiS integrated card - SiS SI7018 on board, i have decided to be this card to playback, i hope it will do better.

1.	Will my problems disapear when putting Edirol only to capture, SiS only to playback?
2.	It is problem of jackd - so should i try stg. like: jackd -d alsa -d -C hw:0 -d -P hw:1 ???

Are there any other possible solutions? (I'm not having for example even RS-232 port, so there is no chance to make reduction SerialPort-->USB on edirol.

Petr