[ardour-users] Re: can you crossfade between two tracks in the ardour mixer?

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 11:59:15 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:34:40 +0100, andy wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:51:30 -0400, Jesse Chappell wrote:
>
>> andy wrote on Fri, 27-Aug-2004:
>>
>>  > I'm setting up a demo of how to do net radio broadcasts in linux for
>>  > someone - thinking of using ardour to mix between different input sources
>>  > (live audio, recorded stuff etc) and to record the sessions, and the
>>  > version of ices that has jack support to feed the stream to icecast2.
>>
>> Have you seen this?
>>
>> http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/
>>
>>  > But I can't find any way to crossfade between input sources in the ardour
>>  > mixer. E.g. if you want to fade between live audio input and a programme
>>  > that's been recorded on the disk.
>>  >
>>  > I've tried making a 4 channel bus with the two input tracks feeding into
>>  > it, and using the pan control on that to do it, but it's not working.
>>  >
>>  > Any suggestions?
>>
>> Your best bet is to talk someone into writing a 4-in 2-out ladspa plugin
>> that will do the crossfade.  Then you can just use the plugin's
>> parameter for control or automation.   You would insert it into
>> a 4-input, 2-output bus, which you would connect as above.
>>
>> It would be a very easy plugin to write, steve harris could crank it out in a
>> matter of minutes.... it might take me a few more.

He's said he'll write one - I'll post something if I get it working.

> This also got me thinking about how the user interface for plugins in
> ardour is a bit clunky - all in separate windows using a lot of screen
> space, and they seem to be tied to the main window so when you click on
> them the mixer disappears. I was thinking it would be better if there was
> a way to create custom control strips in the mixer window, that could have
> any number of custom sliders and buttons generating control signals which
> you could route to the control inputs of any of the plugins you had
> defined, in a similar way to routing audio signals between busses and
> tracks.
>
> This would mean that
> a) all the controls would be grouped together in the mixer window, rather
> than scattered about around the various plugins.
> b) you could have a single control operating several plugins. E.g. with
> something like this it would be easy to make a crossfader by combining
> some of the blop plugins - you could have a fader control giving a +1 ->
> 0 control signal, and then use this to control the volume on the two
> tracks, with the control signal subtracted from one on one of them so it
> was inverted.

Or maybe you wouldn't even need to invert it - when you connected a
control to a plugin you would specify the range that it took the plugin's
control input through (linear or log). So for one of the amplitude
modulators you would say 0 to +1, and for the other you would say +1 to 0.

You could also build your own custom graphic equaliser like this - just
make a row of controls which operate a series of bandpass filters.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.