[ardour-users] Re: can you crossfade between two tracks in the ardour mixer?

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 10:59:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:51:30 -0400, Jesse Chappell wrote:

> andy wrote on Fri, 27-Aug-2004:
>
>  > I'm setting up a demo of how to do net radio broadcasts in linux for
>  > someone - thinking of using ardour to mix between different input sources
>  > (live audio, recorded stuff etc) and to record the sessions, and the
>  > version of ices that has jack support to feed the stream to icecast2.
>
> Have you seen this?
>
> http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/

I had a quick look, but it seemed a bit over the top. Don't know.

>  > But I can't find any way to crossfade between input sources in the ardour
>  > mixer. E.g. if you want to fade between live audio input and a programme
>  > that's been recorded on the disk.
>  >
>  > I've tried making a 4 channel bus with the two input tracks feeding into
>  > it, and using the pan control on that to do it, but it's not working.
>  >
>  > Any suggestions?
>
> Your best bet is to talk someone into writing a 4-in 2-out ladspa plugin
> that will do the crossfade.  Then you can just use the plugin's
> parameter for control or automation.   You would insert it into
> a 4-input, 2-output bus, which you would connect as above.
>
> It would be a very easy plugin to write, steve harris could crank it out in a
> matter of minutes.... it might take me a few more.

I did sit there for many minutes going through all the plugins and
thinking 'why the hell hasn't anyone written a crossfader'...

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.