[ardour-users] can you crossfade between two tracks in the ardour mixer?

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Aug 27 08:51:30 PDT 2004

andy wrote on Fri, 27-Aug-2004:

 > I'm setting up a demo of how to do net radio broadcasts in linux for
 > someone - thinking of using ardour to mix between different input sources
 > (live audio, recorded stuff etc) and to record the sessions, and the
 > version of ices that has jack support to feed the stream to icecast2.

Have you seen this?

http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/

 > But I can't find any way to crossfade between input sources in the ardour
 > mixer. E.g. if you want to fade between live audio input and a programme
 > that's been recorded on the disk.
 >
 > I've tried making a 4 channel bus with the two input tracks feeding into
 > it, and using the pan control on that to do it, but it's not working.
 >
 > Any suggestions?

Your best bet is to talk someone into writing a 4-in 2-out ladspa plugin
that will do the crossfade.  Then you can just use the plugin's
parameter for control or automation.   You would insert it into
a 4-input, 2-output bus, which you would connect as above.

It would be a very easy plugin to write, steve harris could crank it out in a
matter of minutes.... it might take me a few more.

jlc