[ardour-users] Re: cd track markers + seamless track changes

Doug McLain nostar at comcast.net
Wed Aug 11 22:36:20 PDT 2004

Michaël Ball wrote:
> I have a pretty basic question involving cd track markers and seamless
> track changes. I've been working on recording, mixing and mastering an
> album, and it's in its final stages. However, there are certain songs
> which run into each other, with no gap in between them. What would be
> the best way to achieve this with ardour? It needs to be completely
> seamless.
>
> Many thanks,
> Michaël Ball <michael.ball at pandora.be>

After reading the other replies, I am off to experiment with these other
methods; but meanwhile, I'll add my $0.02:

I've been recording live shows at a local bar using ardour, then taking
home the sessions and working my hack magic :)  It sounds by your email
that the songs in question were recorded as one session and *not*
seperate.  This is basically the scenario for all of my live recordings.
   So far my general procedure has been to mix/master/automate the
entire (usually 45min to an hour) session at once, export it as a large
wav file (and downsample: recording @ 24b/48Khz, exporting @ cd friendly
16b/44.1Khz), open it in rezound, cut it up into tracks, then burn the
tracks to cd(and/or make ogg/mp3 for the net savvy bands), removing the
2 second gap.  What I get is a smooth playing live show, but at the same
time every song is it's own track.

With the wav open in rezound, I start from the beginning, usually fade
in since i seem to always be at the bar trying to score when the band
starts and miss the first 20 seconds or so.  From there I just highlight
from the beginning to as close to the beginning of the next song, and do
'cut to new'.  Now the original file has that section missing, so once
again I highlight from the beginning to the beginning of the next song,
and so on, and so on...  By doing that, each previous song is removed
from the original file, so there can be no mistake or over/underlap
creating multiple seamless tracks from one recording.  Of course, having
markers placed when exporting, for cd TOC's is something I'm going to
look into after reading the other posts.  This method has always been my
first choice for lack of understanding of other methods, and the fact
that I almost always wish to create mp3's of the tracks as well.

Doug