[ardour-users] Ardour not using available memory?

Scott Helmke scott at scotthelmke.com
Thu Apr 29 08:46:08 PDT 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 10:44, philicorda wrote:
> Scott Helmke wrote:
> >Thanks to CCRMA I've finally gotten Ardour somewhat usable, but with some
> >frustrating limitations.  And still xruns, oy vey...
> >
> >Anyway, I suspect things would improve a lot if I could:
> >1.  Lower CPU usage.  It's an Athlon 2600 or thereabouts, and with about
> > 10 tracks recorded, 4 actually playing back, and a very few plugins
> > (simple compressor on 2-3 tracks, single parametric on 2 tracks, and
> > Gverb on one track) the CPU load is around 50%.
> >2.  Increase memory actually used.  I've got a full Gb, but top shows
> > only about half actually being used.  Ardour uses around 150Mb, and
> > shows a lot of disk activity even when I just jump back to the start of
> > the song after a playback.  It's definitely getting stuff back off disk
> > even in playback.
> >
> >-Scott
> >
> >P.S. Audio card is Delta-44, and I'm recording at 44.1/16.
>
> Hiya.
> The cpu usage seems rather high. Playing back 11 tracks with the roughly
> the same amount of plugins takes about 40% of my p3 550. (Accourding to
> ardour CPU meter anyway, which I am not sure is quite accurate.)
> What buffer size are you using? I use 1024 samples at 44.1k. Are you
> using realtime? (Launch jackd with -R, this can help quite a bit)
>
> This is with the tarball from last night, so perhaps more recent
> versions are more efficient?

Let's see...
I'm running whatever is currently at Planet CCRMA, including the kernel.
Fedora Core 1, since I haven't mentioned that already.
jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100
which defaults to 1024 for the buffer.

-Scott

--
---- Scott Helmke ---- scott at scotthelmke.com ---- (734) 604-9340 ----
And you'll visualize not taking any chances