[ardour-users] Latency Trouble

Christopher K. George ckg at yalesda.org
Wed Apr 7 09:22:59 PDT 2004

I am running Ardour 0.11.2 on latest testing version of Debian using a low-
latency patched kernel from Agnula.  I compiled the latest versions of ALSA
and JACK myself.  I am running an Athlon 2600 with 500MB of RAM.  I have a
separate HD for recording audio that supports sustained data rates of 60MB/S
according to hdparm -Tt.  I am using an RME HDSP Multiface.  I have assigned
it IRQ 9 which is not shared with any other device.  I have
set /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency to 1.  I have disabled all services that I do
not need.  My week point may be running the latest testing version of X and
KDE.
I recently had to change mother boards.  The old one had some issues plus I
couldn't assign PCI IRQs.  On the old system I had to use a frame size of
8192 in order to avoid xruns.  With this setting I was able to record eight
tracks indefinetly.  On the new MB I am able to function with a frame size of
512.  From the testing I have done so far, the system runs fine with that
setting.  I am starting jack as root with:

jackd -R -d alsa -r 96000 -p 512.

I can record all eight tracks with a frame size of 128 for a while, but then
an xrun will happen.

Any suggestions?  I am getting along alright using hardware monitoring but
would love to have some better latency.

~ckg