[Ardour-Dev] Introducing support for ShuttlePRO v2

Johannes Mueller github at johannes-mueller.org
Wed May 31 09:21:18 PDT 2017

Hi Len,

Len Ovens wrote:

> > I am working on a control surface to support the ShuttlePRO v2 device [1]
> > on Linux. The device is working well using the input event struct of
> > linux/inputs.h.
>
> The shuttle pro is a nice controller. However, using linux/inputs limits
> it to linux use and would not be able to be merged with the rest of the
> code. I would suggest looking at the fp8 and other controlers using USB
> directly. This would allow the code to be used with windows or MacOS.

Point taken. I changed the code now to use libusb instead of linux/inputs. It
took me some time to figure out how to do it, but hey, it was fun and I
learned something. It's working even better than before, because linux/inputs
strangely does not pass all the events from the wheel properly. I thought that
the ShuttlePRO itself was the culprit.

> > By now the handling of the events is hard coded and doing things that make
> > sense to my work-flows. However I'd like to make it user configurable
> > although I am not sure how to do it exactly (how to configure things that
> > are not actions, for example).
>
> This is not hard, but not easy to give an overall answer to either. Things
> are broken down into 3 kinds of things, actions which you already know
> about, session controls (global things like transport) and stripable
> controls which are per track/bus/vca. Look in session.h and stripable.h
> for an idea.

Thanks for your advice. I will look into it and will find a way on how to
improve this. At first I need to do some testing using it for my current real
life music project.

Johannes

--
https://github.com/johannes-mueller/