[Ardour-Dev] Feedback on string-convert branch

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 06:27:37 PST 2017

On 12/01/2017 13:15, Tim Mayberry wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I haven't had much time to look into this over the last few days but I
> did write a basic test case for Visual Studio 2015/MSVC14 and it seems
> the template specialization for enum types works as
> expected/correctly. It is fairly basic use of templates so I'd be
> surprised if there was a problem with that part of the code.

Hi Tim,

Literally a couple of hours ago I had a major breakthrough !!

I've realised that (except for libpbd itself) any source module which
#includes pbd/i18n.h also needs to #include ardour/types_convert.h (when
building with MSVC).  The problem is that there are A LOT of files which
#include pbd/i18n.h (around 200 in libardour alone).

If I modify 'ardour/session.h' and 'ardour/rc_configuration.h' so that
they both #include ardour/types_convert.h I can reduce that figure to
around a dozen or so files (for the DLLs).  However, the gtk2_ardour
branch also has around 200 files which #include pbd/i18n.h - and I'm
struggling to find a common header file which most of them #include.

Any suggestions anyone..?

John