[Ardour-Dev] OSC middleware - was:gain-mapping

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue May 24 11:11:44 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2016, Felix Homann wrote:
>
> I just came across this video on how to use a X32 as a control surface for
>> Reaper. I didn't know people were actually using it this way:
>>
>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnMsbxwguN4
>>
>> Here's Patrick-Gilles Maillot's X32Reaper utility:
>>
>> https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32
>>
>> Might be interesting to do something similar for Ardour.
>>

> He lists the source for everything except the x32/reaper middleware  :P
>
> However, I think that making a generic middleware for Ardour to _whatever_
> is not impossible. The Ardour math is compatible with what controllers are
> out there already. It is more a matter of straight translation table which
> could be done with a "map" file similar to generic MIDI.

Yes, I'd much prefer that we just make it simple (enough)  to do this sort
of thing without middleware, but with some builtin mapping syntax and code.
It could potentially be done via a loaded .so that uses a very simple API,
something along the lines of

                     std::string translate_osc_message (std::string const&);

but really it seeems to me to be doable via looking at some definition in a
file (vaguely xslt-ish, i suppose)