[Ardour-Dev] gain-mapping - was Re: OSC next

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed May 18 13:21:53 PDT 2016

On Wed, 18 May 2016, Felix Homann wrote:

> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> schrieb am Mi., 18. Mai 2016 um 20:30 Uhr:
>       On Wed, 18 May 2016, Felix Homann wrote:
>
>       >       On Sat, 14 May 2016, Felix Homann wrote:
>       >
>       >
>       >       I like the: send any message with no value means send me an
>       update.
>
>       Does this include meter values, timecode values or beat/bar values?
>
> No, for meter values you send a subscription message to the mixer. You can
> subscribe to a couple of different predefined sets of meter values. You have to
> refresh that subscription every 8 seconds or so. Meter values are send as blobs
> containing up to 100 values (that's for the RTA).

Yuck. Predefined... ok, I do that effectively. You get the bank you have
set. This could be costly if you have banksize 0 (infinite) and a whole
lot of tracks, but with a whole lot of tracks, banking just makes more
sense. (Len reminds self some surfaces would prefer to go to bank
starting at rather than next/last) Lots of refreshes is not nice for dumb
surfaces where metering will be turned on manually or at surface start and
expected to be there till shutdown or bank change. (or turned off) Blobs
of even 8 values (more useful size) are not so easy to spread out to
meters on a dumb surface even though they are less traffic.

All of these always on feedback types will need a timer. We can't send a
meter value for every sample or every meter calc I think. (same with
TC/bars)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net