[Ardour-Dev] C and C++ Style checking now enforced

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue May 12 04:54:18 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 7:46 AM, John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>  On 09/05/2015 07:25, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>  (this is really just for developers with write/push access to the Ardour
> git repository)
>
> Attempts to push code that doesn't comply with the Ardour style guide to
> git.ardour.org will now fail.
>
>  There may be a few teething troubles as we get this started. Let me know
> if you run into issues.
>

> Hi Paul,
>
> I've been experimenting with this on Windows to see if I can make it work
> with TortoiseGit (which I can't).  Python gives me a runtime error saying
> "Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams - LookupError:
> unknown encoding: cp0".

which version of python do you have installed?

> I do have a little more success if I try committing from a command line
> but it's not hugely better.  Maybe I happened to pick a bad file to test
> with - but I get dozens of errors from 'libs/backends/jack/jack_utils.cc' -
> just in the existing code.  For example, all these lines fail, starting at
> line 139:-
>
>     samplerates.push_back (_("8000Hz"));
>     samplerates.push_back (_("22050Hz"));
>     samplerates.push_back (_("44100Hz"));
>     samplerates.push_back (_("48000Hz"));
>     samplerates.push_back (_("88200Hz"));
>     samplerates.push_back (_("96000Hz"));
>     samplerates.push_back (_("192000Hz"));
>
> All the above give me "missing space before open parenthesis".

good catch. the tests came from erik de castro lopo, the author of
libsndfile. he probably has never used gettext() (libsndfile certainly
doesn't) so the _("...") form is not covered. I'll fix that.

> But perhaps most damningly, any function call at all - e.g.
>
>     whatever ();
>
> gives me "missing space after close parenthesis".  Just flagging these up
> to you.

ah yes, erik likes to write

     whatever () ;

i'll fix that one also. thanks for playing around with this.