[Ardour-Dev] Ardour-Dev Digest, Vol 134, Issue 1

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 5 10:32:40 PDT 2015

On 05/06/2015 14:54, Paul Davis wrote:

> There's not much point testing OSC support with the X32 without the
> active support of a developer working directly on OSC code. [...] OSC
> is a useful protocol but because it is completely non-standardized,
> both ends of the OSC exchange have to understand the same set of
> messages, and there is no standard set of messages.

Hmm...  that seems like a pretty major drawback!  Is OSC effectively a
dead protocol now?  I took a look at the Issue Tracker but there've been
no posts for nearly 4 years!!

http://opensoundcontrol.org/tracker

On 05/06/2015 07:08, Patrick.Gilles Maillot wrote:
> -1- based on initial responses for Windows support, I uninstalled Ardour,
> and have been keeping using REAPER which works fine in Windows/Linux/Mac
> with X32 using X32Reaper.
>
> -2- I am not interested in MIDI (Mackie emulation, etc... used or available
> on X32) as this only offers a limited use of the X32 as a control surface;
> plus OSC is a lot more advanced and faster in terms of X32 control.

Patrick - what gives you the impression that OSC is better for your
purposes?  For example, is X32Reaper based around OSC perhaps?

John