[Ardour-Dev] Using OSC for max4live-style control of ardour

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Mar 19 15:32:30 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 05:44:28PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> > 2. Would patches to extend the Ardour OSC API be welcome?  The API in
> > surfaces/osc/osc.cc doesn't look like it's changed in a while.
> >

> entirely welcome.

If the OSC API will be revised or extended, I would suggest
to include set and reset methods for everything that has a
toggle method. The choice of operation could be an integer
value (e.g. set = 1, reset = 0, toggle -1) if you want
to avoid an explosion of the method namespace.

The problem with toggles only is that you need to know the
current state. OK for interactive use, but not for programs
that control ardour remotely without it being visible to the
user.

As an example, take the python code that controls the systems
at the Casa del Suono. This is used by non-technical people
and the only thing they see is a player-like GUI.

Ciao,

--
FA