[Ardour-Dev] Something I need to understand for .po translation

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 01:58:19 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM, frederic rech wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the TRANSLATORS text file says :
>
> 2b. If there is an existing translation for your language, run './waf
> i18n_pot' which will bring it up to date (along with all other PO files)

Frankly, I'm not sure why it says so.

> So, with Ardour 3.5-364 from Git, have run
> ./waf configure
> ./waf
>
> Now, did I have to run
> ./waf i18n_pot
> OR
> ./waf i18n
>
> before
> sudo ./waf install ???

Yes, because ./waf i18n generates new binary .mo files that should be installed.

(Also, I run just './waf' after './waf i18n', but it's just me overdoing it.)

> Second question, just to be sure I have understood correctly :
>
> when have edited the .po file, and translate chains, just run
> ./waf i18n_mo
> sudo ./waf install
>
> is ok ? No need to uninstall before ?

Existing files will be overwritten anyway.

> Third question, are all commands to be typed in the 3.0 directory ?

I'm not sure what you are referring to, exactly. But the idea is:

$ git checkout blah
$ cd blah
$ ./waf <various stuff>

Alexandre