[Ardour-Dev] A3 background colours on faders etc.

John Rigg ardev3 at jrigg.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 11:52:24 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 09:12:37PM +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> I got it to look like a more sophisticated version of 0.99 just by changing line 10 in
> gtk2_ardour/ardour3_ui_dark.rc.in and recompiling.
>
> Was:
> #@color bg #54555d
>
> Changed to:
> #@color bg #000000
>
> It would need further tweaking to make it more usable, but I think it looks kind of cool.
> It's probably not to everyone's taste, but at least the fader backgrounds are now black :-)

The above simplistic approach probably isn't very usable, but it was interesting to see
which UI elements are controlled by the bg colour setting.

I think the default dark theme in the released version of Ardour 3.0 looks pretty good,
apart from the aforementioned contrast issue. I'd find it more comfortable to use for
long periods if the following elements which are now grey were changed to black in the
default settings:

Fader level text background in mixer strip
Meter peak level text background in mixer strip
Clock and counter backgrounds
Plugin area backgrounds in mixer strip
Pan control backgrounds

I can live with the light fader backgrounds, as long as I can read the level text
easily as in A2.

John