[Ardour-Dev] Osc and control surface

Johan Blomé johan at gunhildcarling.net
Wed Mar 20 12:36:48 PDT 2013

Hello
I have a Roland M400 mixer which I want to use a control surface for Ardour.
I have written a small osc proxy program translating osc calls to sysex
(which the mixer uses) and vice verse.
This program listens to udp on a local port and sends on the same or
another port.

My main problem is that Ardour is only capable of communicating to the
same port as it have received a osc call which means that both Ardour
and my osc bridge needs to listen to the same port on localhost.
I have tried to get around this by creating a virtual interface but
sofar not managed to workaround it (maybe some linuxexpert knows how to
do this).
However, a small change in the osc surface control which allows the
outgoing trafic to send on a different port is actually working perfect.
I do not know if I am alone in these kind of solutions, maybe allowing
the user to set a second send port would give others some flexibility
(it could work as today if it is not set)?

A small note to Paul who answered my last mail which I send to the wrong
mailing list:
The generic midiinterface is not working for me, I do not know why. I
can see the sysex going to "MIDI control in" but nothing is happening.
I will try to debug it but if anything could be done to get osc going it
would be the best solution (and also add more controls).

Finally my main concern is Mixbus. Since I cannot recompile Mixus I have
no way of controlling it.
Question: is it possible to write a surface plugin and add it to a
prebuild binary (i.e. Mixbus)?
br
Johan Blomé