[Ardour-Dev] out-of-process plug-ins

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jan 29 04:59:54 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just my stupid curiosity... Is it possible to make LADSPA/LV2/etc.
> plugins run in a separate process, so that any crashes would not bring
> Ardour on its knees? It's what Bitwig claims to do regarding VST.

it is possible. but as i've explained numerous time on createdigitalmusic
and elsewhere, this does not scale.

if you want to run 2 VST plugins like this, its fine. if you want
EQ+Compression for every track in an N-track session, its like 1 JACK
client per plugin, and adds notable CPU load.