[Ardour-Dev] Ardour Timecode

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 07:11:02 PDT 2012

On 29 Oct 2012, at 21:34, Reuben Martin wrote:

> Anything from Apple (using quicktime at least) usually screws up the framerate
> for NTSC compatible content. Most of the time you will see stuff like 2997/1000
> which is wrong. NTSC should always use 1001 for the fame-base. (Those tiny
> little factional differences add up pretty quickly)

Are we talking about dropframe timecode here?  If so, 30000/1001 is the wrong fraction surely?  The correct fraction is 30 x 999 /1000 (or 29.97 precisely).  If OMF and AAF are anything to go by, Avid represents this internally as 2997/100.

I don't live in a part of the world that uses dropframe timecode but that representation looks right to me.

John