[Ardour-Dev] Ardour Timecode

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Oct 30 03:49:25 PDT 2012

Hi Reuben,

That's interesting. How come quicktime devs managed to screwed that
up..?! Pro-Tools seems to follow their lead. Probably because eventually
quicktime will be used to MUX A/V and in this case twice wrong makes it
right again.

I was afraid that it would turn out this way.

Ardour2 is also using 29.97, recent Ardour3 uses 30000/1001 (and similar
N/1001 for other non-integer framerates).

I believe that ardour should do the /right thing/ and use N/1001,
however that may void interoperability.

The non-plus-ultra would be to have a checkbox in Ardour that allows to
select whether to use fixed-point or rational framerates; OTOH that will
make things even more confusing.  But, telling the OSX crowd: "quicktime
is b0rked, complain at Apple" is not going to solve anything..  I'm
curious what other DAWs (e.g Cubase and Pyramix) or Pro NLEs (The Avid) do.

any options?
robin