[Ardour-Dev] Hello, some tech talk, etc.

Razvan Cojocaru razvanco at gmx.net
Fri Jul 6 09:58:01 PDT 2012

> just so we;re clear, i started working in C++ in 1992, which is 20 years
> ago :) actually, my first task with C++ was to add thread local storage to
> Cfront itself ...
>
> i've long resisted many of the more "not-C-like" idioms in C++, which is
> something that i tend to regret more and more as time goes on. i know
> where
> i got this tendency from (he shall remain nameless), and i try to overcome
> it, but its not always successful. i still fundamentally don't trust the
> compiler to do precisely what i want.

Are we still talking about which things (and why) are considered bad practice, or did we switch to personal preferences? Because if we start down that road, we won't be able to draw any conclusions at all, since this guy's preference is not that guy's preference, and so what. At some point, we need to trust the same things, otherwise discourse becomes impossible.

Compilers have come a long way from 1992. And how one's used C++ is just as important as for how long one's used it. One can pick a small subset of C++ and use only that for decades.