[Ardour-Dev] Hello, some tech talk, etc.

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jul 6 07:27:40 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Razvan Cojocaru <razvanco at gmx.net> wrote:

> > There is also the danger in changing known working code just to match the
> > latest best practice.
>
> RAII as the way of writing exception-safe C++ code has been recommende
> ever since the language added support for exceptions. It's in Stroustrup,
> Meyers, etc.
>
> It's a ~15 year old best practice. We're not talking about template
> metaprogramming here...

just so we;re clear, i started working in C++ in 1992, which is 20 years
ago :) actually, my first task with C++ was to add thread local storage to
Cfront itself ...

i've long resisted many of the more "not-C-like" idioms in C++, which is
something that i tend to regret more and more as time goes on. i know where
i got this tendency from (he shall remain nameless), and i try to overcome
it, but its not always successful. i still fundamentally don't trust the
compiler to do precisely what i want.